Monday, April 11, 2005

Just Wafflin'

There's something to be said for a nice warm toasty waffle in the morning, complete with fresh fruit and deep pockets waiting to be filled with pure maple syrup.

I usually use a different recipe for waffles that requires me to split my eggs in twain, beating the whites into a medium stiffness foam before folding them into the rest of the batter - I was in no mood for separating eggs, so I gave the Sour Cream Waffle Recipe from 101Cookbooks a try. Of course, I tweaked it - I figured it was plenty rich already - the recipe uses 3 whole eggs and 1/2 cup of sour cream - I only keep the full fat variety on hand. So I reduced the amount of butter down to 6 tablespoons (from 8) with no ill effect. The waffles were still extremely rich, very buttery in flavor and could probably stand to have the amount of butter further reduced. Incidentally, while I believe in full fat sour cream, I still prefer to drink and cook with skim milk. Go figure. Anyway, for those that are too lazy to click over, the tweaked recipe is below:

Sour Cream Waffles

ingredients
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (or less) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup milk (I used skim)
1/2 cup sour cream
3 large eggs
Maple syrup, fruit, whipped cream and/or jam, mix and match as you will, for serving

Method
Heat a waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions. Lightly oil the grids. Meanwhile whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl to combine and make a well in the center. Whisk the melted butter, milk, sour cream, and eggs in a medium bowl until well combined and pour into the well. Whisk just until smooth; do not over mix.
Spoon about 1/4 cup of the batter into the center of the waffle iron and close. Cook until the waffle is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve the waffles hot, with the syrup passed on the side.

Makes twelve 4-inch waffles - or if you're like me, and you have a large Belgian waffle iron (I think it's 8" across), you'll get 4 to 6 waffles out of it...

Adapted from Back to the Table: The Reunion of Food and Family by Art Smith (Hyperion, 2001)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home